A home treatment for head lice is the simplest way to get rid of these flat little parasites. Though lice do not have wings, they are easily transmitted from one person to another. Lice live on the head by clinging tight on the hair using their claws. Lice eggs – called nits – cling to the hair shaft using sticky saliva.
It is necessary that steps are taken to remove these eggs from the scalp in your effort to get rid of the Lice. Else you might leave yourself open to repeated lice infestations. Head lice are annoying, but you can get rid of them using home treatments for head lice.
Here are some tips for you:
- The simplest home treatment for head lice is to use a lice comb. This comb should be available at your nearest medical store. Although painstaking, it can be a very useful remedy to treat lice at home.
- In your regular shampoo mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil. Apply this solution and then cover your head tightly with a shower cap for half an hour and then rinse it off.
- Mayonnaise is used as home treatment for head lice for several years. Apply mayonnaise on the scalp at nights and sleep with a shower cap in place. In the morning, use a good shampoo and wash your hair to remove the applied solution. Check hair scalp regularly afterwards to ensure that there is no lice.
- Petroleum jelly can be used as an effective cure for head lice. Apply petroleum jelly all over your scalp and sleep overnight with a shower cap. The jelly loosens lice from your hair, but you should try hard to remove greasiness from your hair. You may try using a dish-wash detergent to get rid of the greasiness quickly. You can try using corn flour before the entire process to make it less tiresome.
- Make a solution by mixing 20 drops each of eucalyptus essential oil and tea tree oil, 10 drops each of aniseed essential oil and lemon oil with 75ml olive oil. Apply this on your hair and wait for an hour. Later, rinse hair with plenty of water to get positive results.
- You can also make a solution of baby oil or any other mineral oil with equal proportion of vinegar. Apply this mixture on your hair scalp for two hours and rinse off. This solution is an effective home treatment for head lice, as the combination of oil and vinegar fights against lice.
It is important that you have to find a good home treatment for head lice depending on the nature of your hair and severity of the problem; otherwise, you may end up losing your hair and damaging your scalp.